Reddit… I read it
First steps… or rather, first strokes!
To post or not to post…
Practicality or Obsession?
AI in education, a change for the better or worse?
The last debate topic zoomed on whether ” AI technologies will revolutionize education for the better”.
AI refers to artificial intelligence which includes numerous formats in the realm of education. Some examples of AI in education can be Chat GPT and DALLE-2 which were discussed in the previous posts.
Lots of toddlers nowadays learn the alphabets of their language or even how to read or write some words before their school age or attending any academic classes just due to the availability of AI applications or games. My daughter learned all English alphabet before she was 4. Is it
because of her more talents than us (who learnt the alphabet at 7 years old at school) or the presence of tech in learning?
Refering to this article helpful applications of AI are as follows:
- Intelligent Tutoring System (ITS): AI acts as a tutor and is equipped with plans to assess the learner’s strengths and weaknesses and present appropriate materials considering the student’s abilities.
- Virtual Facilitators: They are AI programs designed to make learning procedures easier and more fun like 3D gaming and computer animation.
- Personalized Learning: With the help of AI, both tutors and learners can be aware of the process of each student’s progress and more tailored feedback and learning experience can be provided for the students.
- Speech Recognition: The application shifts whatever is said in the classroom into written words which are useful for the recognition skills of international students, spelling, and disabled students.
- Adaptive learning technology – Virtual Assistant: This assistant provides open-format answers using conversational technology and boosts critical thinking as well as one-on-one teaching and feedback
- Availability: At any time in the class, each student is capable of participating in asking or answering questions using chat functions
- Online Resources Applying: AI makes it possible for class participants, especially tutors, to use online resources and not be restricted to printed ones. Any questions aroused in class can be resolved by online resources.
- Not Lecturing: Rather than individual lecturing in class, teachers may apply collaborative methods to ask students to gain information.
- Clear Assignments: Just like in-person classes, assignments can be made clear through AI and it assists tutors to figure out which tasks and assignments were well received by students for further modifications
- Ongoing feedbacks: Continuous feedback can be provided to relieve students’ stress and the physical distance does not matter for communications.
However, the opposing team worried about the cost of AI application in education, the privacy of learners and their lack of digital literacy and finally the unavailability of AI for all people. they saw the future world as the cartoon WALLE.Yet, they agreed with the most benefits that AI brings to our education.
Social Fairness and equity by technology???
This week we argued on this topic: “Has Technology Led to a More Equitable Society?”
Kennedy and Ummey were on pros of it while Graeme and Jeff Barrett challenged them as cons. Social equity means: “Equity is just and fair inclusion. An equitable society is one in which all can participate and prosper. The goals of equity must be to create conditions that allow all to reach their full potential. In short, equity creates a path from hope to
Technology and educational equity
The advocates of the debate elaborated on the importance of Technology in classrooms. They discussed two ways technology is used in the classroom:
Teaching online especially during pandemic
Daily education from applications and social media (tutorial apps like Duolingo) to posting assignments, resources and materials
Advancements of technology have helped everyone’s learning providing online teaching and learning platforms and apps without spending much money or time (on commuting to distant classes) regardless of a person’s age or free time. It means that younger ages or elder ones can easily have access to learning at any time of a day! Referring to the article by Hall (2006), you can bridge the technology gap only if equitable learning opportunities are provided for all students.
Technology and social equity
Social platforms result in social justice or equity by sharing information and campaigning for your rights. The benefits of such platforms can be summarized as freedom of speech, raising awareness, having global audience for opinions and news and finally sharing your content without any costs!!! Nowadays, by means of social networks and blogs, everyone in the world who has a net connection can share his/her ideas or believes and create content and widespread it worldwide without the fear of authorities or their positions. In addition, people can enjoy the empathy and self-awareness by creating a global support group after sharing pictures, videos and texts in social applications like snapchat. Let’s watch how well Varela (2017) describes it. So even lonely peopled are not bothered of their loneliness.
Assistive technology (AT) and equity
Assistive technology (AT) is a term used for showing how technology helps people with cognitive or physical disabilities to have easier learning, communication, education, work and life. With the help of AT, disabled people can experience almost as normal lifestyle as other people for their education, work or communication. For instance, specialized mobile phones are used by blind people to talk, search or navigate. Communication devices, special purpose computers, wheelchairs, braces, prosthetics, mounting systems, and much more are examples of physical ATs.
Technology and Health Opportunities
Individuals’ access to healthcare services and health records through telemedicine are other beneficial aspects of technology for all. Moreover, health education can be provided through social media.
Technology and Funding
This includes donation pages, such as go fund me crowdfunding and rally up. Technology is not only useful for providing people with equal opportunity to advertise for their fundraiser, it also provides easier opportunity for people to donate and help them. So you can easily fund raise and bring awareness to those around the world.
Technology and more globalized world
Online pages help us bridge cultural diversity and make immigration processing easier. Language learning and cultural exchange through social media platforms and apps which results in more diverse but less racial societies. As I learned a lot about my destination, Canada, before immigrating to it.
On the opposing side, some people like Sume (2016) put the relevance of technology and social equity under question. For instance, the sudden shift during Covid-19 assumed that everyone had the capacity to learn and work online. However, the difficult reality is that many were left behind. Most deeply impacted were students from low- income families who returned to school having experienced even less engagement.
Hence, due to the arguments above, benefits of technology in a more equitable society is undeniable and it has digitalized and globalized our world. Tech in education caused reduction of educational disparities and expansion of online learning.
Summary of Learning
This is the summary of our learning. Rokhsareh and I decided to prepare it together. Special thanks to Dr. Alec Couros for his informative and enjoyable class.
Summary of Learning
This is the summary of our learning. Hanieh and I decided to prepare it together. Special thanks to Dr. Alec Couros for his informative and enjoyable class.